Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Start of a New Day

04/13/2011:

I stood there looking down at those numbers in disbelief and shame with a dab of embarrassment. Not embarrassment so much for me but for my family; my husband, my kids, my siblings, my friends. How did this happen? When did this happen? I knew I was fat, not overweight, but FAT! However, I did not realize that I had more than doubled in size. The scale read 280 pounds! I stood there and cried those tears of shame that most women who battle weight shed so often. In my moment of despair and desperation, I realized I had two options: feel sorry for myself and eat the last donut on the counter with a chocolate milk chaser or change my lifestyle and thinking.

I knew I had a visit with my OB/GYN the next day so I addressed my thoughts and concerns with her. She ran some blood work and we discoverd that my sugar levels very elevated but everything else was right on. She then said the words that nobody ever wants to hear, "Terrie, you are considered morbidly obese. You now qualify for lap band surgery." At first, I was very disappointed and ashamed. Then I was excited because this would give me a great jump start to get this weight off of me.

Present Day:

I am now at 258; that is down 22 pounds since that terrible day in April. A great friend at work, Ally Billhorn (check out her blog at http://networkedblogs.com/jggrM) was coming back from maternity leave and was starting Weight Watchers, a program she had used before and had success with. Our group at work is VERY supportive so we all decided to join in on it with her.

Now, let me first tell you that I was not very excited about Weight Watchers. I mean, there was going to be a lot of time spent measuring, weighing, and calculating. Who has time for that? However, if there is one characteristic of myself that I like it is that I am always willing to try something new at least once. Anyways, what did I have to lose? And that is where my Weight Watchers journey began. In three weeks, I have lost 11 pounds. However, I have to deal with ALWAYS eating. I eat every couple of hours. Usually it is fruit, vegetables, etc.

This blog is not going to be a selling point for Weight Watchers, but a chronicle of my journey along the way to becoming the person that I want to be inside and out. I hope that you will all join me along the way. I welcome tips, pointers and definitely words of encouragement along the way. Other than watching food and portions, a strong support system is the best thing a person could ask for.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Terrie and I'm glad your on your way to living healthy and feeling good about yourself. I look forward to reading all about your journey. This has potential to reach and help many people that are in similar situations and you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to be a part of your journey!!!! You r doing great.

    Love, Kinz

    ReplyDelete